The Online Guide to Scottish Poets was introduced as a reference tool for anyone researching Scottish poetry. It has a unique quality through which we aim to show the importance of poets and poetry in the Scottish literary landscape. Currently the guide has more than 900 entries. To be eligible for being added to the online guide, poets must be resident or have been resident in Scotland or be Scottish by birth, upbringing or inclination. Nominated poets can be living or dead.
Poets are added to the online guide if one of their poems is published in the annual volume of ‘Best Scottish Poems’. This will not change after the nomination process in in place.
Criteria for inclusion
Significant contribution to the following areas will ensure a poet is eligible for addition to the online guide.
- The oral history, literature or languages of Scotland.
- The status and stature of poetry in contemporary Scotland.
Alternatively the poet must be able to meet three or more of these criteria.
- Have a significant body of work that demonstrates a track record of published poetry, but does not include journalism, scholarly texts, or self-publications.
- At least one anthology contains the poet’s work and they have more than two pamphlets produced by an established publisher.
- The poet wins a major writing prize or is short-listed for one.
- Must have delivered spoken word performances (not readings) in the last 5 years that received positive reviews in electronic or printed material such as newspapers, journals or magazines.
- Has made or is making a significant contribution to the visibility of under-represented groups in Scottish poetry such as class, race, language or disability.
- Peers, academics and critics paying significant critical attention to the poet’s work.
Once a poet’s name has been submitted
The submission date for nominations this year has now passed and the selection panel will be reviewing nominations received over the coming weeks. Successful poets chosen by the panel will be announced on St Andrews Day and will be contacted by the Library soon after.
If you have any questions about the nomination process please email Head Librarian, Jill Mackintosh.