- This event has passed.
Are you interested in developing your skill as a words for wellbeing facilitator or organiser?
This weekend residential will provide you with an opportunity to deepen your understanding of how reading, writing and storytelling can be used effectively to improve wellbeing. We will look at both the content and process of facilitation and which tools to use when. We will also consider how to approach setting up and managing a words for wellbeing programme that is safe and suited to purpose. While the focus of the workshop will be on the use of reading, writing and storytelling for wellbeing, we will also look at how the visual arts, music and movement can be used. .
This residential will include perspectives and tools for enriching both content and process of facilitation. Projected topics include:
- How facilitators run their groups
- Containment of difficult or emotional material
- Crossing the threshold from content to process
- Building a repertoire of literary resources
- Responses to personal disclosure
- Ethical issues related to boundaries
- Meeting challenging behaviours
- Group Dynamics
- Clarity about purpose and what is allowed
- Co-leadership and consultation with colleagues
- Giving feedback to oneself and to co-leaders
- Moving groups to deeper considerations
- Balancing diverse needs of individual members
- Responding to offensive comments or prejudice
- Developing a new group in collaboration with other staff
- Diversity in its many variations (age, race, country of origin, spiritual, sexual orientation etc)
The weekend will be a rich mixture of experiential and reflective processes exploring crossing thresholds from participant to facilitator and back, with demonstrations by the two very experienced course leaders, Valerie Gillies and Larry Butler, plus opportunities for practice, feedback, discussion and the sharing of resources. By the end of the two days, you will have gained skills and confidence as a facilitator and an understanding of your individual strengths. As an organiser, you will feel better equipped to set up and manage a words for wellbeing programme and to support those delivering it.
Whatton Lodge is located on Hill Road, Gullane in East Lothian, overlooking Gullane Bay. It offers spectacular views over the Firth of Forth, “one of the finest views in the United Kingdom” (The Times).