"We get our sense of music in a language from lullabies, from baby language, from talking to dogs ... "
Ryan asks the staff of the Scottish Poetry Library which poetry books they'd recommend for seasonal gifts, and catches up with multi-talented writer Kapka Kassabova for a scintillating interview.
About those other recommendations!
- Grain (Picador, 2009) by John Glenday
- All-American Poem (American Poetry Review, 2008) by Matthew Dickman
- In the Becoming: New and Selected Poems (Polygon, 2009) by Tom Pow
- The Darwin Poems (University of West Australia Press, 2008) by Emily Ballou
- The Forward Book of Poetry 2010 (Faber, 2009)
- The Burning of the Books and Other Poems (Bloodaxe, 2009) by George Szirtes
- Opal Sunset: Selected Poems, 1958-2008 (W.W. Norton & Co.) by Clive James
- Kin: Scottish Poems About Family (Polygon, 2009) edited by Hamish Whyte
- Silver: An Aberdeen Anthology (Polygon, 2009) edited by Alan Spence and Hazel Hutchison
- The Making of a Sonnet: A Norton Anthology (W. W. Norton & Co., 2009) edited by Edward Hirsch and Eavan Boland
- Rain (Faber, 2009) by Don Paterson
- Natural Mechanical (CB Editions, 2009) by J O Morgan
First published 11 December, 2009